The Youth Services Department is seeking a new member. Candidates must have previous experience working with young children. This position plans and presents weekly story times for children ages infant to preschool. We are searching for candidates that are patient and energetic for an entertaining story time.
JOB TITLE: Library Technical Assistant II – Youth Services Department
BASIC JOB FUNCTION: Assists with providing information and materials to the public in a courteous and professional manner. Performs a variety of clerical duties to assist with the organization and implementation of the programs and materials of the Youth Services Department.
WORK SCHEDULE: Part Time
- Assists at the Youth Services reference desk with patrons' phone and walk-in requests for information, materials and research guidance. Aids with readers' advisory.
- Plans and implements children’s programming for 0-5 years. Communicates program information to public relations staff for publicity purpose.
- Assists with daily care of library pets
- Services copy machines and other equipment; gives instructions to patrons on usage.
- Implements "Rules for Considerate Behavior" to maintain quiet, safe environment in patron services and lobby area.
- Implements “Customer Service Policy”, and follows correct procedures for customer service as outlined in the ‘TIPS” manual.
- Check-in, distribution and labeling of mail.
- Straightens and shelf reads a specified section of shelves.
- Outreach including, but not limited to schools and special events.
- Ability to resolve customer and or employee concerns and professionally take charge of a situation.
- Associate’s degree in early childhood education or child development, or a combination of some college, relevant library experience, and/or classroom experience working with young children.
- Have the patience, understanding and skill to work with children. Must exhibit creativity, storytelling ability, and a good knowledge of Children’s literature. Experience developing programs for children is required.
- Ability to adapt to library practices and procedures and function well as a team worker.
- Ability to be pleasant and courteous with the public.
- Ability to provide accurate reference information and library materials in a timely, efficient manner.
- Ability to comprehend and understand reference information.
- Organizational skills and ability to understand library practices and procedures.
- Available to work evenings and weekends.
Pekin Public Library; 301 South 4th St; Pekin, IL 61554
Attn: Rochelle Marsden
Application materials should include a cover letter, résumé, and references. Deadline to apply: December 28,2017
We take applications for page positions year-round, and keep them on file for 6 months. If you are interested in being a library page, please return this application to the library.